Thursday 5 February 2015

January - Hitting the ground running

It's been a busy start to the year in the Helen Beard studio!

As well as completing a couple of commissions, we have been planning and preparing for two shows that Helen is exhibiting at in April, Ceramic Art London and the Chelsea Art fair. It's been really fun and useful to be involved in this process from the beginning of the idea through the making of the work to the planning of the exhibition stand. Helen is making great progress and the throwing is nearly complete - soon the decorating will begin!

I have also been planning and making a collection, one to photograph for applications to this year's shows. It is the first time that I have planned specific pieces to sit together as a coherent group for something like this and I have found it very satisfying and inspiring. See pictures below.








I have been working on making bigger and bigger pieces and while I'm nowhere near Helen's biggest pieces I'm quite happy with my progress. I have also developed a little obsession with tiny little pots so I've made quite a lot of those too! I'm working on developing my decorating style and for the moment I'm working on hand-painted patterns inspired by textiles. I have focused on a monochrome blue and white colour palette while I develop the designs, but I want to start introducing more varied colour soon. I am also interested in trying some different glazes.

This year we've started experimenting with a new porcelain which has opened my eyes to the benefits and problems of different clays.

A couple of weeks ago we went on a research trip to Maison et Objet in Paris which was a fantastic experience. It was a HUGE show but it was fantastic to see the range of excellent work on show.

February is looking to be just as busy - more planning and making for Helen's shows and I have a commission (from my mum!) to make some cups and I need to work on defining extending my range so that I'm ready in case I get into any of the shows I'm applying to!

More news soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment